! WARNING – DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO YOUR OWN REPAIRS !
A garage door spring unit is under tension at all times and should never be adjusted, except by approved, fully trained Dominator dealers.
Please note: If correct maintenance and servicing are not carried out, your warranty may be void.
Dominator recommends that you check the operation of your door at least every three to six months (more regularly in extreme environments or frequent use). The door should run smoothly and be easy to lift by hand.
Door Care & MaintenanceMaintenance of your Dominator garage door and opener is critical to ensuring its smooth, quiet, reliable operation, and in most cases is necessary to ensure your warranty remains valid.
GARAGE DOOR SERVICING
For optimal, trouble-free performance and safety, it is recommended that your door is serviced by an experienced technician every 12 months, or earlier if required.
For urgent repairs contact Dominator Rodney on 09 422 2299 to arrange a visit, or contact us via email.
WHAT TO DO
ZINCALUME® AND COLOURED STEEL FINISH DOORS
Your coloured steel door has been pre-painted with a silicone modified polyester formulation, which is one of the best paint films available today. However good a product may be, all exposed surfaces require some attention to guard against corrosion and any other harmful atmospheric effects.
Washing the door with clean water and a cloth every 14 days is recommended. More frequent washing is advised in salty or industrial fallout areas.
Remember, when you think of cleaning your car, think of cleaning your door.
NOTE: DO NOT WASH THE AUTOMATIC OPENER, IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND COULD CAUSE ELECTROCUTION.
- Guide tracks: (Rolling garage doors) Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits. Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface, allowing the Nylofelt to glide more easily. DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL ON THE GUIDE TRACKS. Sectional garage doors should be cleaned as per rolling door instructions, but do not require polishing of the internal guide tracks.
- Steel hinges: (If fitted). Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil. Also lubricate wheel to axle bearings.
- Plastic hinges: No lubrication is generally required, however silicon spray may be used if necessary.
- Springs: (Where accessible). Wipe over with an oily rag.
- Locks: Your lock does not require special maintenance, however if the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended. Do not grease the lock.
- Automatic garage door openers: If you have an automatic opener fitted to your garage door it is important that you ensure the optimum operation of your door, otherwise you may reduce the effective life of the opener, and void your opener warranty. For more information refer to the maintenance schedule in your garage door opener’s instruction handbook.
- Opener chain: Lubricate with Chain Lube.
- Lifting cables – wear: (If fitted). Check for wear through by rubbing. If there is fraying or signs of corrosion contact Dominator Rodney. These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by fully trained Dominator dealers.
- Lifting cables – tension: (If fitted). While the door is up visually check the connection between the cable and the drum at the top. If the cable is loose it may detach. These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by fully trained Dominator dealers.
- Fasteners: Check all screws, nuts and bolts to ensure they are secure.
- Spring tension: It is natural for springs to lose tension. Should the door become hard to operate or completely inoperative, contact Dominator Rodney.
We use and recommend Dryden WoodOil. The panels are fully coated in wood oil before they leave our factory.
The door should then be cleaned if necessary and coated with a second application on completion of site activity, between 30 and 90 days after install.
A maintenance coat (3rd) is required 12 months from 2nd site coat to allow more protection and colour enhancement.
After appropriate initial coats re-application of Dryden WoodOil is recommended annually, ensuring that exterior surface, all edges and end grains are coated completely. If your door is North facing it is recommended to do so every 6 months.